Friday 17 July 2015

Julie London

I have not had time to write anything elaborate for this week, with it being my summer vacation and all, but at least I will provide two numbers by Julie London. Her real name was Gayle Peck and she was a singer who also acted in a large number of TV-series in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Sometimes she appeared in films as well and some of them are exceptional, like Anthony Mann's Man of the West (1958) and Robert Parrish's The Wonderful Country (1959). But here is London singing in two other films. First the title song for Saddle the Wind (1958), also directed by Parrish. It might be my favourite title sequence, at least my favourite title sequence song,



Next is her appearance as a figure of  Tom Miller's feverish imagination in Frank Tashlin's outrageous and magnificent The Girl Can't Help It (1956). She plays herself, and Tom Ewell plays Tom Miller.



She has a fine voice.